Saturday, September 19, 2009

New Moon Trailer #3

I liked it. I did. It's surprising, but it did come off as enjoyable. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be reading this if it didn't also kind of suck. In some ways. Not all. I liked it... and I hated it. Here we go.

Voice overs. Again, bad, but almost okay for a trailer. My problem is that I feel they didn't really need to explain the Volturi - and especially not with such bad dialogue. If you know me at all, it's likely you know how much I despise Melissa Rosenberg, AKA the screenwriter. Nearly every bit of dialogue we've heard from this movie is disgustingly bad, following, of course, the lead of its preceder. Starting the trailer, Edward isn't so bad. But it gets worse when we go to Bella, and then to hellish depths as we cut to Alice.

Alice. Oh, Alice. I've been thinking, hoping, praying, that this movie would be saved by two people. Those people were Taylor Lautner and Ashley Greene. Alice was wonderful in the first trailer - in this one, it appears she has caught the KStew. Meaning: awful acting, no emotion, and when she seems to try, it has very bad results. "They could kill us all." (ignoring, of course, the fact she can see the future, and therefore see they... don't... die. But, whatever. It's dramatic!) The way this is said, I feel like it should have been accompanied with a hair toss. She does not sound distressed or concerned. She sounds and looks like she couldn't care less and was only worried about how Bella might react. Quite frankly, she sounds like the perfectly stereotyped cheerleader.

By the way. Does anyone think naughty thoughts when seeing Aro twist that man's neck? When they cut to his face?

The logo is shown. Thank God. If it had continued on the path it was going I may have cried. From here, it does get better. Very much so. In the next sequence, we see some awful KStewness, weird RPattzness, and editing that is questionable considering this is a real, professionally made movie.

The effects look much better this time around, but let's face it - they could hardly have gotten worse. I'm loving the effects used for showing Edward's absence, something that nearly everyone was unsure about. Having Bella visually hallucinating definitely works on screen. I know a lot of people don't like Jessica's line, but I think it fits her personality - annoying and vapid. I am a fan. She may be one of the most well-cast characters in the series (which is sad).

The music kicks up, and the trailer switches from decent to good. The cliff seems really short from the angle we are shown, which is kind of pointlessly stupid, considering they CG'd it. But it's not like she's actually trying to commit suicide, so it hardly matters. My inner fangirl definitely kicked up with that awesome clip - Bella's hand brushing Edward's face, causing it to dissipate. I love that so much. I can watch that over and over and over because it's so epicly done.

With Taylor, this is the first shot of him I'm not liking. He plays the nice Jacob perfectly, but like most, I suspected it would be harder for him to do the more hardcore side. I don't think they'll have him be such an... well, asshole in Eclipse because of that. It's good that Bella is basically supposed to be catatonic - it's the only thing Kristen can pull off well. More Alice fail, which makes me cry inside.

The ComicCon clip for Volterra was a blessed gift. All hopes for that scene were killed, because the dialogue is just so very bad. And Kristen is still Kristen and was not recast. I miss the "no Edward don't" from Twilight. It was so much better, so much more powerful. It's amazing how quickly Kristen is able to change octaves in the space of three words.

Victoria falling from the tree. LOLWUT.

Michael Sheen is playing a very strange Aro. I'm not going to decide if I like it yet or not. Laurent is also majorly weird, and the come hither finger waggle is hilarious. The CG for the wolves doesn't seem to be that bad, but the fight with Laurent doesn't look real at all. I love the clip with Bella and Paul, though. That is fantastic, and again, got the fangirl going.

I was in total shock at the Edward-smashing. Srsly, major HOMG. I can't wait to watch it in full, because it looks really good.

And then we hit the second best part of the trailer. "This may hurt just a little." AHHHHHHHH. There are no words. SO. MUCH. WIN. I've been hoping for Dakota since before Rob was even cast for Edward. MAXIMUM EXCELLENCE. Kristen, however, completely kills that high - and the clips accompanying it were useless. I try to pause before it continues to that, because ending with Jane would have been perfect on its own.

To conclude, I have finally been made excited for the movie. Previously, while eagar, it was easy to wait. November seems much further now.

Apologies for the capslock rape.

No comments:

Post a Comment